Wednesday, May 4, 2011

1689 Baptist Confession of Faith....

I was reading through the Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689. Since I was raised Baptist and know that many of my friends here are Baptist, I thought I would share some of these things with you. I realize that this was written by men. But my point is look at how "man" has changed Christianity in just 320 years. It's like we got rid of "costly grace" and replaced it with "cheap grace". Please take a moment to read...

Chapter 22: Of Religious Worship and the Sabbath Day
The sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering their common affairs aforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all day, from their own works, words and thoughts, about their worldly employment and recreations, but are also taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy. ( Isaiah 58:13; Nehemiah 13:15-22; Matthew 12:1-13 )

Now, let's say that the new Sabbath is now on Sunday (my Sabbath honoring friends, just work with me here). Look what all is said about how we should keep that day Holy. "observe an holy rest all day, from their own works, words and thoughts, about their worldly employment and recreations". That means NO Works, Words, or Thoughts about ANYTHING Worldly! I'm not talking about legalism. I'm talking about a HOLY and RIGHTEOUS God, the 4th Commandment, and setting a day aside for holy rest. Even if you water this down quite a bit, and say well, we have to cook, or we have to take care of our kids, some of us have to work, and so on, we still miss the boat! I would say just one word alone can sum up how we are failing to obey God in our Christian lives... SPORTS! Whether you are watching it, playing it, or thinking about it. How did we get to where we are today from this right here? Now our church pastors have Superbowl parties at Church. They have UFC fighting parties. We have basketball games, softball games, karate, water skiing, paddleboarding, wakeboarding, surfing, facebook, TVs, DVRs, Desperate Housewives, movie theatres, and on and on....We do all sorts of "worldly" things. The pastors do many of these things to bring people to them instead of going out and getting them. Man, this blows me away. Please someone talk me down here if I am out of line and missing some modern theology that justifies how we do things today. And I'm not judging anyone but myself. I stand condemned right here and right now.

Check this one out...

Chapter 22: Of Religious Worship and the Sabbath Day
The light of nature shews that there is a God, who hath lordship and sovereignty over all; is just, good and doth good unto all; and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart and all the soul, and with all the might. But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God, is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imagination and devices of men, nor the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scriptures. ( Jeremiah 10:7; Mark 12:33; Deuteronomy 12:32; Exodus 20:4-6 )

Think about all the "devices of men" that came from "suggestions of satan" that we have in our churches. The rock and roll music, the Hollywood style movie clips, the Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirt wearing pastors, etc.. All justified in some way shape or form. Again, I'm not trying to make this about legalism. Again, it goes back to a HOLY God and how we worship his Lordship and Sovereignty.

Chapter 26: Of the Church
All persons throughout the world, professing the faith of the gospel, and obedience unto God by Christ according unto it, not destroying their own profession by any errors everting the foundation, or unholiness of conversation, are and may be called visible saints; and of such ought all particular congregations to be constituted. ( 1 Corinthians 1:2; Acts 11:26; Romans 1:7; Ephesians 1:20-22 )

The members of these churches are saints by calling, visibly manifesting and evidencing (in and by their profession and walking) their obedience unto that call of Christ; and do willingly consent to walk together, according to the appointment of Christ; giving up themselves to the Lord, and one to another, by the will of God, in professed subjection to the ordinances of the Gospel. ( Romans. 1:7; 1 Corinthians 1:2; Acts 2:41, 42; Acts 5:13, 14; 2 Corinthians 9:13 )

Wow, do you know many people here in the US that profess the faith of the Gospel AND show obedience unto God by Christ, not destroying their own profession by living a life of unholiness? Do you know any members of churches here in the US that are saints because of they visibly manifest and show evidence by their profession and walking of obedience unto the call of Christ? I know we all know some. But how many? 75% of America claims to be Christian. And I'm not just talking about the non-church going people who would claim to be christian as a political stance. I'm talking about the people that fill up the churches. Man, just think about it. I haven't looked at a modern Baptist Confession, but I am quite sure it looks much different. If it does in fact read the same today as it did then, then our church is filled with hipocracy and lost people who think they are saved.

Why will most people read this and shrugg it off as "Travis is on another one of his little judmental rants", instead of questioning what is happening in their own heart, their own church, their own family. Maybe I am deceived myself for trying to make Christianity deeper than what it is...But I'm just not convinced of that. I think the deception is in the Church.

Give me some feedback here everyone. Not something shallow, but something that will sharpen me. Or PM me if you want.. Would love to know what others think about this...

No comments:

Post a Comment